This module will build on previous topics by presenting an introduction to transducers used in both analog and digital applications. It also covers temperature, pressure, and flow transducers as well as other detection devices such as optical encoders and Hall-effect sensors. Capacitive, ultrasonic, and thickness sensors are also presented using practical and theoretical examples of industrial applications of these devices.
Differentiate between a thermocouple and a thermopile.
- Explain the advantages of using pyrometers for temperature measurement.
- Define the terms RTD and thermistor.
- Name two types of pressure transducers.
- Describe how load cells are used for flow measurement.
- Name three types of photoelectric devices.
- Briefly describe the components used in fibre optic systems.
- Define lasers and explain why they are used in industrial electronic controls.
- Explain the basic operating principle of an optical shaft encoder.